Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University


Looking for an answer? Ask a Question

Where do I write my exam?

Write your exam at any of the locations in BC listed on the Supervised Exam Application form or at any of the Canadian Invigilator Network (CIN) exam centres. If you do not live within 100 km of any of the centres, you can submit a Statement of Presiding Supervisor to arrange your own exam location.

I passed my exam but didn’t complete the assignments. Do I get a final grade?

If you passed your exam but did not submit all of your assignments, you receive your final grade approximately one month after the course completion deadline. Let your Open Learning Faculty Member know if you plan not to submit all your assignments. If you require more time, apply for an 18-week extension prior to the course completion deadline.

If you did not pass your exam, you can re-register by phone through Student Services.

If I didn't apply for an exam session by the course end date, what can I do?

If the course is eligible for an extension, request and pay for a course extension by using the Course Extension Request form, or re-register. 

You are allowed one extension per eligible course and cannot cancel your registration in or withdraw from a course that has been extended. Also, a course extension disqualifies the course for student loan purposes, regardless of your final grade.

If I'm taking a course for personal interest, do I write the exam?

If you are taking it for personal interest, you are auditing the course and must declare this when you register. You can complete assignments and receive full from the Open Learning Faculty Member, but need not write the final exam. 

How do I arrange to write the OL supervised final examination?

See the TRU-OL Examinations Schedule and choose a session prior to the course end date. Then submit an exam application, as follows:

If you live in BC, submit a Supervised Exam Application. If you are in BC but live more than 100 km from any of these locations, submit a Statement of Presiding Supervisor as your application.

If you live outside of BC but within Canada, submit a CIN Exam Application. If you live more than 100 km from one of our CIN centre locations, submit a Statement of Presiding Supervisor.

If you live outside of Canada, submit a Statement of Presiding Supervisor.

When are the next OL supervised final exam sessions?

See the TRU-OL Examinations Schedule.

What happens if I submit my application late?

You are then scheduled to write in the next exam session available prior to the course end date and are notified.

If no sessions are available prior to the course end date and your course is eligible for an extension, you can apply for a Course Extension, submit a Supervised Exam Application, a CIN Exam Application or a Statement of Presiding Supervisor and write your exam at a later date.

Can I change my exam centre after I have applied?

Complete and submit the Exam Change Request form and contact the OL Examinations Department up to 14 days prior to the scheduled start date of the exam session.

Changes from one Lower Mainland centre to another are not permitted after the application deadline date.

If I fail the exam, may I rewrite it?

Rewrites of failed exams are not allowed. You can register again in the course and write the exam. You may not use a course extension to rewrite the examination.

Your original grade and your second grade appear on your transcript, but you receive credit only once.

Rewriting examinations is not always possible for group delivery students. Contact Student Services for information.

There are no supplemental examinations for courses delivered by TRU-OL.

What arrangements do I make to write the final exam for a TRU-OL course delivered by UVic?

The university that delivers the course will send you examination information. Contact that university unless directed otherwise. Supplemental examinations are not available for TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic.

UVic Examination Policies

Some TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic require students to successfully complete a written examination. The course package provides complete information about examination policies and procedures.

When can I write my exam for a course delivered by TRU-OL?

You can write your exam during any examination session that falls prior to your course completion date. Here is a link to the TRU-OL Examinations Schedule. Students will then be assigned a date and time for their exam that falls within the session they have chosen.

I can’t write the exam at a BC or CIN examination centre. What arrangements do I make?

Contact someone who agrees to supervise (invigilate) your examination. TRU-OL requires that supervisors (invigilators) be fluent in written and spoken English, be employed as an educator in a teaching or administrative capacity, or be a full-time regular employee of TRU-OL (not a current TRU-OL student), and not be related to the student. Supervisor selection is subject to TRU-OL approval.

Complete the Statement of Presiding Supervisor with the supervisor you have selected and submit the form to the Examinations Department by the examination application deadline date.

If TRU-OL approves your invigilator proposal, TRU-OL sends the examination to your approved supervisor two weeks before the examination session dates. Students are required to make arrangements with their supervisor for a convenient date and time to write the examination within the examination session dates. Students are also responsible to make arrangements if their supervisor requires payment for services or is returning the examinations to TRU-OL by courier.

If I can't write my scheduled exam because of illness or unplanned conflicts, what should I do?

Contact the Examinations Department:
Phone 250.852.7000 (Kamloops) or 1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada)

If you are in a group delivery course or a distance-education study centre, tell your facilitator.

How should I prepare to write a supervised examination?

You should complete your assignments in order and submit them to your Open Learning Faculty Member as you complete them (several weeks before the final examination). Normally, your course materials provide examination preparation advice, and you may borrow helpful materials through the TRU Library.

Contact your Open Learning Faculty Member for more advice.

Am I scheduled automatically to write my exam if I have a course extension?

No, you are not automatically scheduled. You must still submit an exam application for the session you have chosen.

How and when will I receive confirmation of my scheduled examination stating the date, time and location of the exam?

Approximately 10-14 days before your selected examination session, TRU-OL sends you an examination confirmation notice by mail or email stating the date, time and location of your examination.

You also receive a list of acceptable materials you may take to your examination session.

If you have not received your confirmation notice 10 days before the examination session, contact the Examinations Department.

Phone 250.852.7000 (Kamloops) or 1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada)

If I have written my exam, may I rewrite it during my extension period?

No, you may not write the examination again during your course extension. It will be necessary for you to register in the course again in order to write the exam again.

Do I have to rewrite the exam if I repeat a course?

Yes. Examination marks are not carried forward from one registration to the next.

Normally, you may repeat a course only once. Both your original grade and your second grade appear on your transcript, but you will only receive credit once.

What should I do if I think my Supervised Exam Application form will not be received before the deadline?

You may submit the form online or send it by fax, or contact the Examinations Department to find out your options.

Phone 250.852.7000 (Kamloops) or 1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada)
Fax 250.852.6401

Can I change my examination centre after I have applied to write the examination?

Contact the Examinations Department to transfer your application.

Phone 250.852.7000 (Kamloops) or 1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada)
Fax 250.852.6401

You may request a transfer from one examination centre to another 14 days prior to the scheduled starting date of the examination session.

Changes from one lower mainland centre to another are not permitted after the application deadline.

Complete and submit the Exam Change Request form.

What are the exam procedures for group-delivery students?

Examination procedures vary in group-delivery courses. Open Learning Faculty Members provide information to their students about examination procedures for group delivery courses.

I require special arrangements to write my examination because of a disability. Who do I contact?

Contact the Accessibility Services Office as soon as possible.

Phone 250.828.5023 (Kamloops) or 1.888.828.6644 (toll-free in Canada)
Fax 250.371.5772

Search To Top