Staff & Faculty

Click this bar to leave this page and making it difficult for someone to know you were here.
 What to do if you’ve been assaulted
  • Go somewhere safe. If you are still in danger or you are concerned that you might still be in danger, or if you need urgent medical attention, call 911.
  • Security is available on campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and can be reached at 250-828-5033, OR by pressing the buttons on one of the blue Emergency posts on campus.
  • Y Women's Shelter can provide 24 hour phone support, including safety planning. They can be reached at 250-374-6162, or by text at 250-682-7931.
  • Consider seeking medical attention at Royal Inland Hospital, TRU Medical Clinic or one of the urgent care clinics. Even if you don’t think that you’ve been physically injured, it may be beneficial to access medical services for STI testing and/or reproductive health concerns. The hospital can also collect physical evidence, in the event that you choose to formally report the assault in the future. Evidence is best collected within 72 hours of the assault, but can still be gathered up to 7 days afterwards. The Kamloops Sexual Assault Response Team can also provide support and information at the hospital.
  • Consider making a report to RCMP, TRU or an anonymous third party report with the Sexual Assault Counseling Center. You can also contact Community-based Victim Services at the Kamloops Sexual Assault Counseling Center, or the Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager if you would like to speak with someone in person about your decision to report (or not report). The decision to report or not report can be complex, and you deserve to make it with as much information as possible. Please see the Reporting Options resource found below for more information.
  • Consider connecting with a support that feels safe and trusted. Please refer to the Supports section to learn more about services available on and off campus.
 Safety Planning

If you are in immediate DANGER or fear for your safety, please CALL 911. If you are not in immediate danger, call VictimLink BC at 1-800-563-0808 for information about services that are available throughout BC.
The Ending Violence Association of BC has created a number of resources around addressing your personal safety.
We have created a Safety Planning Resource that’s specific to your time on campus.
Click here to download the Safety Planning Resource.
The Kamloops Y Women’s Emergency Shelter operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can provide support over the phone and in person on a variety of issues including safety planning, emotional support and information about resources and referrals.

 On Campus Supports

Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager

The Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager (SVPRM) can offer:

  •          emotional support,
  •          safety planning,
  •          connections to additional resources,
  •           academic and housing accommodations, and
  •          accompaniment to legal and health options.

The SVPRM can also provide information on reporting options, and support through reporting processes.

TRU recognizes that experiences of violence will be shaped by many factors such as sex, ancestry, race, ethnicity, language, ability, faith, age, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. The SVPRM is available to support anyone on campus who has experienced violence, including staff and faculty. Those seeking support are welcome to bring someone to their appointment. If there are specific things that would make reaching out and accessing support easier for you or someone you know, please contact the SVPRM by booking an appointment through Student Services at 250-828-5023.

*Confidentiality: If the SVPRM has reason to believe that you or someone else is at imminent risk of being harmed, they are legally required to report this information.

Meet TRU's Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager

Community-Based Victim Services Worker

A community based victim services worker from the Kamloops Sexual Assault Counselling Centre (KSACC) is available on campus every Tuesday from 1:00pm - 4:00pm. The CBVSW can provide:

  •          information about sexualized violence as it relates to the justice system
  •          support through court processes (accompaniment, paperwork)
  •          information and support with anonymous Third Party Reporting

All services are confidential and separate from TRU’s student services. KSACC does not share any information with TRU about individuals who access their services on or off campus.

To book an appointment, please contact KSACC directly at 250-372-0179 or drop by Student Services at OM 1631.

TRU Counselling Department

Free personal, career and crisis counselling for all TRU students.

TRU Health Services

Medical services for all TRU students and employees.

TRU Wellness Centre

One-to-one holistic health consultations and heath information. Student peer support is offered through the Student Wellness Ambassador Team (SWAT).

Campus Security

Security are on campus 24/7 and can provide accompaniment to students through their SafeWalk services.

  • The security office (HL 128) is located on the first floor of the Brown Family House of Learning Building.
  • On-duty security staff can be contacted by calling 250-828-5033; Local 5033.
 Off Campus Supports

Kamloops Sexual Assault and Counselling Centre

Free, confidential, client-centered services to victims of sexualized assault, child sexualized abuse, domestic violence and sexualized harassment.

  •          250-372-0179
  •          601 - 235 First Ave.

Royal Inland Hospital

After an assault, victim/survivors may consider accessing Emergency Room services at the hospital to receive immediate medical attention related to injuries, sexually transmitted infections or reproductive health support. Kamloops Sexual Assault Counselling Center can provide support to those accessing the hospital through the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART). Victim/survivors can request SART's support through hospital staff.

Kamloops RCMP Detachment

Please see our Reporting options page for more information regarding reporting to RCMP.

  •          560 Battle St.
  •          250-828-3000 to speak to an officer


RCMP can also provide victim services to individuals who have experienced sexualized or domestic violence. RCMP-based victim services are separate from KSACC's community-based victim services and are bound by different limitations regarding confidentiality.

Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)

Kamloops Sexual Assault Counselling Center’s SART team will provide immediate support, information and advocacy to individuals who have been sexually assaulted within the past seven days. Specially trained volunteers are on-call Friday at 4:30pm to Monday at 8:30 am. SART’s support is available at Royal Inland Hospital to victims/survivors who request their services.

  •          More information will be available soon on the KSACC website

Y Women’s Emergency Shelter

Short term crisis support to women and children experiencing violence or at risk of experiencing violence. Staff are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in person or by phone or text. Individuals do not need to stay at the shelter in order to access support.

  •          Phone: 250-374-6162
  •          Text: 250-682-7931

Stopping the Violence Outreach Services

Mobile support for those experiencing violence or at risk of experiencing violence. The STV Outreach worker can provide support, information, connection to resources and accompaniment to support or court-related activities.

  •          Phone: 250-376-7800 or 320-3110
  •          Text: 320-3110


VictimLinkBC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across B.C. and the Yukon 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-563-0808. It provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence, including victims of human trafficking exploited for labour or sexual services.

VictimLinkBC provides service in more than 110 languages, including 17 North American Aboriginal languages. In 2014-2015, VictimLinkBC assisted more than 12,000 people.

VictimLinkBC is TTY accessible. Call TTY at 604-875-0885; to call collect, please call the Telus Relay Service at 711. Text to 604-836-6381. Email

Kamloops Urgent Primary Care Center

The Urgent Primary Care Centre sees patients who might normally go to a family doctor or nurse practitioner for their ailment, if an appointment had been available. Patients will be seen by a physician, physiotherapist, a nurse, a social worker or other clinician, depending on the nature of their injury or illness. Service is for patients who require medical attention within 12-24 hours, but are not an emergency. This service could be helpful for victim/survivors who don’t have access to a regular doctor.

  •          Urgent Health Care - Kamloops Urgent Primary Care and Learning Centre
  •          Book an appointment by calling 250-314-2256 at 10:00am, any day of the week. There will be a large number of people trying to access this phone line, so call the number continuously until you are able to get through to reception. Appointments are only booked for the same day you call.

Kamloops Urgent Care Clinic

Kamloops Urgent Care Clinic provides primary medical care on a walk-in appointment basis.  Appointment registration is only done on the same day that you require the appointment.  No appointments will be made over the phone. Hours are as follows:

Monday - Friday:

Doors open at 8:30am
Registration begins at 8:45am
Doctor starts at 9:00am


Doors open at 8:00am
Registration begins at 8:15am
Doctor starts at 9:00am

Once registration begins you will be offered the first available time or, if requested, offered a time to come back later the same day.

You are able to book appointments for other people, although we ask that you bring their care card (MSP/BC SERVICE CARD).  Please bring Photo ID if unable to provide a medical card.

Public Health Youth Clinic

Sexual and reproductive health

EQ Virtual

An online clinic for those with BC medical coverage. Create an online account for quick access to a doctor for a range of physical and mental health concerns.

24-hour Crisis and Information Line (WAVAW)

Immediate, toll-free and confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

“Calls are answered by empathetic and skilled support workers. Crisis Line support workers are there to listen, to provide non-judgmental support and, if needed, to provide information on available WAVAW services or referrals to other community programs and organizations.”

Trans Lifeline

“Trans Lifeline is a national trans-led…organization dedicated to improving the quality of trans lives by responding to the critical needs of our community with direct service, material support, advocacy, and education. Our vision is to fight the epidemic of trans suicide and improve overall life-outcomes of trans people by facilitating justice-oriented, collective community aid.”

Get Checked Online

Get checked for Chalmydia, Gonorrhea, HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis C without needing to see a doctor first. Visit to create an account and locate the lab in Kamloops. Use the code ‘Kamloops’ when creating an account.

If your results come back positive, it is encouraged to see a doctor after that.

 Additional resources for Faculty & Staff who have experienced violence

The Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager (SVPRM) is available to support staff and faculty navigating an experience of sexualized violence. The SVPRM can support you through formal processes with the RCMP or TRU, and may be able to provide accompaniment to off-campus resources. Support is available regardless of whether victims/survivors would like to make a formal report of their experience. The SVPRM can help victims/survivors get connected to resources in community, including counseling services through the Kamloops Sexual Assault Counseling Center or private practice therapists.

Victims/survivors may be eligible to receive Crime Victim Assistance funding that could be used towards counseling services. Find out more about Crime Victim Assistance funding. Victims/survivors do not require RCMP involvement or legal proceedings to be eligible for this funding.

Did you know that you may be eligible to take leave if you have experienced domestic or sexualized violence? See more information on the governments Leave Respecting Domestic or Sexual Violence webpage.

TRU’s Employee and Family Assistance Program provided through Lifeworks is a confidential counseling service for employees and their families. You can learn more at the top right-hand corner of the Current Employees OneTRU site.

Depending on your employment agreement, you may have access to additional health benefits or leaves of absence. These can be clarified by visiting HR's OneTRU site, connecting with a member of the HR team, or speaking with a union representative.

 Ways to support students

Things Teaching Faculty can do:

  • Build space and opportunities for learning into your classes
    • Incorporate our “Policy, Definition, and Supports” slides at the beginning and/or middle of your course material
    • Include information about the policy and supports in your course outline
    • Help promote the online Moodle Introduction course
    • Offer bonus marks for attending SV programming – connect with us to learn about what’s going on in a semester and have students write a reflection
  • If you receive a disclosure, listen to what the survivor is asking for and be creative in meeting that need without compromising the learning outcomes of the course. Provide flexibility for students as much as possible. Some things you can consider offering survivors include:
    • Extensions on assignments, quizzes, midterms, etc.
    • Reweighting of course components
    • Flexible participation marks or allowance for missed classes
    • Alternative ways to get course material – ie class slides shared, asking for someone to share notes
    • Alternative ways to complete assignments – eg paper rather than oral presentation
    • Additional time on quizzes, tests or exams
    • A Deferral grade which gives students up to 6 weeks extra to finish a course, based on an agreement between the instructor and student
    • If the perpetrator is in the same class as the survivor and you teach more than one section of the class, offer to switch the survivor to the other section
    • If the perpetrator is in the same class as the survivor, ensure they are not in the same small groups for assignments or discussions
    • Information on the Withdrawal in Extenuating Circumstances process. This can be facilitated by the SVPRM or Student Case Managers as well
  • Things we are not always able to do
    • Move a perpetrator out of a class or mandate education, counselling, etc. This is only possible with a formal investigation by the university. If we do this without going through a process, it gives the perpetrator leverage to engage other legal action, which in turn can put the survivor in a legal process that can cause further harm.
  • Things you’re not expected to do
    • Be an expert in trauma or sexualized violence.
    • Fix it or confront the perpetrator – while sometimes this urge comes from the best places, it can compromise the safety and autonomy of the survivor.
    • Compromise the learning outcomes of the course. Especially when courses act as pre-requisites, this can seem helpful in the moment but likely won’t be in the long-term
Search To Top