Click this bar to leave this page and making it difficult for someone to know you were here.

Choosing to report an experience of sexualized violence is a difficult, complicated decision to make. Reach out for support, and ask as many questions as you need to in order to make the decision that’s right for you.

Is there a time limit for reporting a sexualized assault?

No, you can still make a report months or even years later. However, the sooner a report is made, the greater the chances that police can collect evidence that will link the accused person to the crime.

Can someone come with me?

You can bring a support person to the RCMP station, but it is unlikely that they will be able to join you while you give your statement.

Why can’t the RCMP come to campus when I give my statement?

RCMP need access to their own audio/visual equipment to record your statement.

How long will it take?

This will depend on your experience, it could take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.

What kinds of questions will they ask?

Each situation will require different kinds of questions. You might feel uncomfortable, embarrassed or distressed during the interview process, as they may ask for very intimate information. Community-based and RCMP-based victim service workers can help prepare you for this process, both emotionally and practically.

Suggestion: Bring items that may bring you comfort while being questioned, like a blanket or cozy scarf.

Can I take a break from questioning?

Yes, you can request to take a break from questioning when you need to.

Can I record my own report, with my phone or some other device?

No. When the RCMP take a statement, it is considered evidence. If your statement is recorded on another device, that recording also becomes a piece of evidence, which needs to be held by the RCMP.

Will I get a copy of my report?

Not automatically. You would need to submit an Access to Information request through the Freedom of Information Act, which can be obtained at the RCMP station. More information about this process can be found at:

What if I forget something that I wanted to say?

The reporting officer should give you their contact information on a business card. You can follow up afterwards if there’s something you want to add.

Suggestion: Prepare some notes before your statement, so you can refer to them in the moment.

What happens after I report?

Each situation is different, and the RCMP member taking your statement should walk you through the next steps.

Suggestion: Take notes, as it is easy to forget things when you’re experiencing stress.

Will someone be providing updates?

The reporting officer can provide information. You can also call the RCMP detachment and ask for the status of your file. You will need to provide your file number. RCMP-based victim services or Community-Based victim services can also work with you to keep you informed.

Suggestion: The file number should be on the business card that the officer gives you after your initial statement.

Information about RCMP-based Victim Services:

Information about RCMP-based Victim Services:

Can I request an officer of a specific gender?

Yes, but their ability to meet your request might depend on whether an officer of your preferred gender is working at that time and available to speak with you.

English is not my first language, is there a translator available?

Yes, but it may take them some time to secure the translator.

What if I don’t like how I’m treated by an officer?

At the time, you can ask to speak to their supervisor. After the fact, you have the right to lodge a complaint.

I want to provide information only

If you decide that you do not want to be directly involved in the legal process, the RCMP may still be advised that a crime has occurred. A survivor can provide a statement, written in their own words, but with the explicit wish for it to not be investigated. The police generally respect the wishes of the survivor and not investigate the crime. However, in some cases, such as public safety and current child protection, the police will override the survivors’ wishes and investigate - taken from

OK, I want to make a report to RCMP, what now?

You can call the non-emergency line at 250-828-3000, or go directly to the RCMP station at 560 Battle Street.

Search To Top