Service Excellence Initiative
Introduction and rationale
In 2015, Keeling and Associates conducted an extensive review of academic supports and student life programming. In their final Student Life Programs and Academic Support Services Review 2015, Keeling and Associates gave two foundational recommendations.
TRU should make, communicate, and hold itself accountable to an institutional commitment to improving and enhancing the student experience.
Establish a culture of student-centered work and customer service, including but not limited to the tone of offices, how advising is delivered and discussed, how students are greeted and escorted between services and how students are represented in communications and online.
To address these recommendations, a proposal was submitted to build on the existing service culture. The proposed service excellence initiative was set up to address the above recommendations, align with TRU's Strategic Priorities 2014-2019 and link to the TRU Brand Model.
- To build an Excellence in Service Statement.
- To align service with the TRU Strategic Priorities and the TRU Brand Model.
- To provide professional development and training opportunities that support understanding and implementation of TRU's Excellence in Service Statement.
- To establish a community of practice/ working group framework and ethos.
In the pursuit of implementing a service-based initiative on campus, a couple of key resource documents have been identified to guide the direction of the initiative and to best align with the ideals of the university:
The proposed three-phased process aims at identifying our core service values; offering professional development and training opportunities to further understanding of what excellence in service looks like; and carrying the momentum forward through a working group/communities of practice approach:
- Phase 1: Create a Campus-Wide Excellence in Service Statement
- Phase 2: Offer Training and Professional Development
- Phase 3: Build Communities of Practice/Working Group Framework and Ethos
Excellence in Service Statement
TRU is committed to providing service excellence by being open, collaborative, and empowering in support of the success, well-being and belonging of all members of the TRU community.
- Open: We consistently embody presence, invite dialogue, and cultivate empathy.
- Collaborative: We collectively connect resources, encourage efficiency, and build knowledge.
- Empowering: We purposefully seek solutions, foster curiosity, and inspire confidence.
Training and Professional Development
A pilot of the training was completed in November and December of 2017. More than 20 staff members from four different departments joined four sessions of service training on Thursdays from 1:00-3:00. Feedback was provided via surveys that were sent out following each session and a final survey to reflect on the overall training delivery and content. Revisions to the training were made based on the participants’ feedback.
Campus wide training is being offered in 2018!
Registration for all sessions is available on the EventBrite page. Emails with registration links will also be provided. For any further questions please email email@example.com. You can also download the postcard with all the session information.
Training is also available by request for your department or a combination of departments. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.