TRU Food Services
TRU Food Services, a branch of TRU Ancillary Services, manages TRU’s contractual relationship with Aramark Incorporated, which operates nine food outlets spread across multiple buildings on the Kamloops campus. TRU has worked with Aramark since 2003. The contract with Aramark was last renewed in 2013 after a competitive process and is scheduled for a review in 2018. Aramark has 20 full-time student and/or TRU alumni employees, 47 part-time student employees and 28 non-student employees.
TRU’s relationship with Aramark has generated the following benefits for TRU and TRU’s students:
- In the last three years, 68 percent of Aramark’s employees on the TRU campus have been students. Aramark offers flexible scheduling options that make it convenient for student employment.
- In the last three years, $1.5 million has been paid in student wages.
- There is a paid marketing internship position awarded to a TRU student annually. This internship has led to full-time employment after graduation.
- 14 TRU alumni work full-time at TRU Food Services at either a supervisory or managerial level.
- TRU Culinary Arts saves thousands of dollars annually in food costs through Aramark’s procurement channels.
- Aramark continues to support the Education and Skills Training Program (ESTR), providing an on-campus training lab for their students.
- TRU has received more than one million dollars over the last three years from commissions resulting from overall food sales. This money is used to offset the university’s operating costs.
- Aramark has invested more than $850,000 in infrastructure improvements to the university.
- Aramark has donated more than $100,000 to student scholarships and has been included in the President’s Circle.
The food industry is always changing and we are changing as well. Check out some of the changes and improvements that we have made over the last couple of years.
Addition of a full service Starbucks in Old Main
- Replaced the limited menu Tim Hortons
- Increased the variety of beverage and food selection on campus
- Included renovations of Student Street; improving the space with new seating and additional tables
The U&M Deli added in Old Main
- Developed due to changing demands for food on campus
- Goal to provide various different dietary options; gluten free, vegetarian, vegan and halal
The Urban Market added in the Campus Activity Centre
- Features an Urban Cultivator which grows fresh microgreens and herbs
- Fresh pizza and calzones made daily in an open-flame stone oven
- Affordable daily rotating hot entrée specials
Updates made to the Upper Level Café in Old Main
- Bento Sushi’s main location which features hand-crafted sushi made daily
- Wide variety of fresh grab-and-go items
Heroes Pub changed to The Den
- Changed to an all ages restaurant, opening the doors to all members of the campus community
- Extended hours, revised menu, local offerings and daily food specials
- Updates to interior to improve ambiance
Introduced Bento hot entrée menu
- Extended Bento menu added to offer rice and noodle bowls
Launched new Food for U website
- Information regarding daily specials, menus and dietary options
- News nibbles for all features and changes regarding food on campus
Eats Amore & the Happy Camper food trucks arrives on campus
- Marks the start of great partnerships between TRU Food Services and local Kamloops food truck operators
- Brings unique food offerings to the campus community
Chop N Top added to the Urban Market
- Features artisan style salads or you can customize your own salad or wrap
The Den goes strawless
- One of the first restaurants in Kamloops to remove the use of plastic straws
Fill It Forward
- TRU Food Services has teamed up with the Sustainability Office to support the TRU Fill it Forward Program. Every coffee you purchase, you will be rewarded with points on the app when you use your re-usable mug. Use the Fill it Forward app to scan the locations unique barcode at any of these locations (Trades Café, International Café, Upper Level Café, Urban Market and Bean Me Up), after 10 coffee purchases you will get a free coffee!
- TRU’s very own custom coffee. Brewing only 100% fair trade organic certified coffee, sourced ethically in partnership with Fair Trade Canada. HOWL Coffee creates a unique brand on campus, especially for the socially conscious student. Served at all TRU Food Services locations except for Starbucks, Tim Hortons and the International Café.
Twisted Goat – International Cafe
- Committed to supporting the farmers who worked hard to grow and harvest the green bean we source for Twisted Goat. All our coffee is 100% Organic and Fair Trade and roasted in small batches by hand in the Rocky Mountain valley.
Starbucks Updated Seating Package
- Transforming the ambience of Student Street by adding new seating and tables making for a better place for students to gather and study.
Working to being a strawless campus
- Plastics straws are being removed at all food services locations. We request that everyone go without using a straw, but paper straws will be available.