Open Learning Writing Support
For TRU Open Learning students, we offer tutoring support, either in person or online.
- In person: If you live in Kamloops, please register and book an appointment. We’re in OM 1411. Phone 250-852-7673.
- Online: You can also receive asynchronous feedback from an online tutor (usually within 48 hours) by uploading your draft writing assignment. We have two online tutoring services: WriteAway and WCOnline.
WriteAway can help you with any stage of the writing process:
- Understanding assignment requirements.
- Tips on brainstorming and idea generation.
- Feedback on any aspect of your assignment, e.g., clarity, style/tone, sentence structure, citations, grammar and punctuation.
- Links to online resources.
- Strategies for effective revision.
Please note: WriteAway is only available for TRU Open Learning Students enrolled in an Undergraduate course.
- Sept. 16 - Dec. 4, 2019
- Jan. 13 - Apr. 8, 2020
How to Access the Schedule
- Connect with an online tutor here.
- You can either submit an assignment, or ask an eQuestion (a quick question about writing or grammar) by filling out the online form.
- An online tutor will read your writing assignment, provide written guidance, and upload their response, usually within 48 hours. You can submit up to three drafts of any paper.
- An email notification will be sent to you letting you know that feedback on your draft writing assignment is ready to be downloaded.
Support when WriteAway is closed
When WriteAway is closed, you can receive feedback from an online tutor through WCOnline. You can make one appointment per week.
- Dec. 9, 2019 - Jan. 11, 2020
How to Access the Schedule
- Go to: http://www.tru.ca/writingcentre and click "Register for the Writing Centre Online."
- Login at: https://tru.mywconline.com
- Select the "Open Learning..." schedule.
- Make an appointment by clicking on a white box.
- Fill in the required fields and click CREATE APPOINTMENT.
- After you make an appointment, please upload a maximum of two files (a copy of your assignment instructions and what you have written) before the appointment start time. The assignment instructions will make it easier for the tutor to identify what you are doing well and what you need to improve.
- To add a file, click EDIT APPOINTMENT, click CHOOSE FILE, and click SAVE APPOINTMENT.
- Please note: The file with your writing must be in Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx). Maximum file size: 1 MB.
- If a student does not upload a file, the appointment will be marked as a no-show, and their account will be disabled for one week. If a student has two no-show appointments, their account will be disabled for two weeks.
- Also include a detailed description of what you’d like help with at the top of your paper, i.e., specific questions, or the areas you’d like our tutor to pay close attention to.
- Online appointments are asynchronous. Your paper will be re-uploaded by 11 p.m. the same day. When you receive an e-mail notification, sign in to your account and click on your appointment to access the tutor's feedback.
- Please note: The tutor is scheduled for 45 minutes, and may not have time to review all aspects of your assignment. This schedule is limited to one appointment per week.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so at least 2 hours in advance.