Open Learning Writing Support
We have two options for online support — WriteAway and Writing Centre Online. Both offer feedback from an online tutor, usually with 48 hours.
Here's what you get:
- Improved understanding of assignment requirements.
- Tips on brainstorming and generating ideas.
- Feedback on any aspect of your assignment — clarity, style, tone, sentence structure, citations, grammar and punctuation.
- Links to online resources.
- Strategies for effective revision.
WriteAway is only available for Open Learning Students enrolled in an undergraduate course.
Schedule: May 19 - Aug. 5, 2020
How to use WriteAway
- Connect with an online tutor here.
- You can either submit an assignment, or ask an eQuestion (a quick question about writing or grammar) by filling out the online form.
- An online tutor will read your writing assignment, provide written guidance, and upload their response, usually within 48 hours. You can submit up to three drafts of any paper.
- An email notification will be sent to you letting you know that feedback on your draft writing assignment is ready to be downloaded.
Writing Centre Online
When WriteAway is closed, you can receive feedback from an online tutor through Writing Centre Online. You can make one appointment per week.
Schedule: Apr. 14 - May 16, 2020
How to use Writing Centre Online
- Login at: https://tru.mywconline.com and select the "Open Learning..." schedule.
- To make an appointment, click on a white box, fill out the pop up form, and click CREATE APPOINTMENT.
- Before the appointment start time, upload a maximum of two files (a copy of your assignment instructions and what you have written). Click EDIT APPOINTMENT, click CHOOSE FILE, and click SAVE APPOINTMENT.
- Please note: The file with your writing must be in Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx). Maximum file size: 2 MB.
- Also include a detailed description of what you’d like help with, i.e., specific questions, or the areas you’d like our tutor to pay close attention to.
- Please note: Online appointments are asynchronous. Your paper will be re-uploaded by 11 p.m. the same day. When the tutor has reviewed your assignment, you will receive an email notification that it is ready for download.