Becoming an SL Leader
Leader recruitment normally takes place between March and early May for the upcoming academic year.
For Winter 2020, given the challenges we face, recruitment, Informations Sessions for prospective applicants, and likely selection processes that follow, will be delayed. If you have indicated your interest, you will receive a message, by email before May, outlining the process.
How to Apply
The first step is to attend an SL Information Session. To be invited to an Information Session, contact the SL Coordinator: email@example.com by early spring (March-April).
SL Information Sessions are designed to provide enough information to know whether the position of SL Leader would be a good fit for you, and a chance to ask any questions you may have. Sessions are 90 minutes. Four or five sessions are schedule; generally from the second week of exams, in April, to mid-May. (Later Information Sessions may be arranged, if positions have not yet been filled.)
After you attend, you'll be invited to submit an application.
SL Leader Qualifications
- Registration as a full or part-time student, required.
- 2nd to 4th year standing in year for which you are applying to lead (2nd or 3rd year preferred).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3, strongly recommended (3.0 required).
- Minimum grade of "A-" in the course to be supported.
- Content competency required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Good organizational skills highly recommended.
Reasons to be an SL Leader
- The leadership and organizational skills: You'll grow more than you imagine
- The compensation
- The connections:
- to course faculty
- to other strong students from a range of programs
- to the students you’ll support
- An opportunity to earn SL Leadership Training certification and Co-Curricular designation
- The chance to make a positive difference for others
- The SL Leaders’ Office - a space just for leaders
Be sure to read What Leaders Say for the leaders' perspective on the benefits of the SL leadership experience. Afterall, they're the experts.
For further information, contact the SL Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org