Below are recent updates related to COVID-19 safety on campus, that are relevant to TRU students.
New immunization clinics available in Kamloops and Williams Lake
Sept. 15, 2022
Thank you to everyone’s commitment to our shared responsibilities to keep us safe. One of those responsibilities is to get vaccinated and boosted, if able.
To support public health’s recommendation to get boosters when eligible, Interior Health has opened a new immunization clinic at Sahali Mall in Kamloops. In Williams Lake, a short-term, clinic will open up next week at the TRU gymnasium to supplement the one at Williams Lake Public Health.
From the Government of BC’s Get a COVID-19 booster webpage:
- For full protection, everyone + needs ongoing booster doses. Invitations are sent on a rolling basis, six months after your last dose. For most people, it's best to get a booster dose around periods of increased risk.
- Fall booster invitations are going out now, starting with the people most at risk from COVID
- Those aged 5+ will be offered the bivalent Moderna vaccine for your next booster.
If you have not yet received any COVID-19 vaccination, you need to register. Everyone else will be notified when they are eligible to book an appointment to receive their next COVID-19 booster.
More information on COVID-19 immunization clinics is available on Interior Health’s website. If you have questions regarding eligibility, booking, rescheduling and more, visit the How to get vaccination for COVID-19 webpage or call 1-833-838-2323.
As a reminder, COVID-19 test kits are available at many community pharmacies and continue to be available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepared for a safe and successful fall 2022 return
Aug. 26, 2022
We are proud to have safely provided TRU students with on-campus education and services throughout the 2021-22 academic year, thanks to the safety measures in place and our community’s commitment to following them.
As we approach the start of the fall 2022 semester, we know that COVID-19 and other communicable diseases are on the minds of many and that includes here at TRU. Providing a safe learning environment continues to be a priority. To keep our community safe, there are safety measures in place, but there are also expectations of all of us who come to campus.
You can continue to count on TRU to:
- Provide a mask-friendly environment.
- Regularly clean educational spaces, public spaces and high-touch areas and maintain supplies of sanitizer throughout the campuses.
- Operate our HVAC system under ASHRAE COVID-19 best practices and frequently replace MERV air filters that are installed throughout campus.
- Work with AEST, Public Health and other BC post-secondary institutions, along with other health experts to ensure we are taking the appropriate steps to best protect our community.
Expectations of everyone on campus:
- Before coming to campus, please assess yourself and stay home if sick. We’ll see you when you’re healthy. See our Illness Management page if faced with COVID-19 symptoms. TRU's Office of Student Affairs will provide guidance for students navigating extended illnesses.
- Test when necessary. Check Interior Health’s website (or the First Nations Health Authority website for our Indigenous community members). Test kits are also available at many community pharmacies or by contacting email@example.com.
- In our mask-friendly environment, please support everyone’s choice to wear or not wear a mask.
- Continue to regularly wash and sanitize your hands.
- Get vaccinations and boosters if able and eligible.
- If traveling, follow appropriate travel requirements.
Future immunization clinic
For anyone in Kamloops who requires a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster shot, Interior Health will host a vaccination clinic at the Sahali Mall at 945 Columbia Street starting in September. This location is only 15-minutes away from campus by foot and easily accessed by BC Transit. It will be open to all students, faculty and staff to pre-register online for an appointment. The clinic will be open five days a week for three months. More details will be shared once available.
Staying up to date
If there are changes to our shared responsibilities and expectations, we will update the COVID-19 area of our website and share on our social media channels.
We are excited to have new students experience TRU for the first time and to welcome back returning students. Enjoy the rest of the summer and we will see you soon!