Guidelines for Office Space Allocation
- All offices shall be allocated on the basis of optimum occupancy (e.g. double or multiple space offices shall be assigned multiple personnel).
- Where appropriate, faculty/administrative staff/support staff may be assigned office space in a general office area, for example: administrative staff having direct interaction with the public like Human Resource Clerks and Executive Assistants.
- The assignment of office space to individual faculty, administrative, and support staff shall be the responsibility of the dean/director or designate, or the appropriate vice president.
- Expansion/renovation of office space shall be achieved through the optimum utilization of existing space in accordance with these guidelines and the conversion of existing office/other space.
- All proposed office space expansions/renovations shall be referred for approval in accordance with the Administrative Policy (ADM 18-0) on Space Renovation.
- Only as a last resort shall existing instructional and student study space be converted into office use.
- Priority for allocation of office space:
- Tenured and tenure-track faculty/ full-time ongoing administrative staff
- Limited term faculty/Specified term administrative staff
- Sessional faculty/ Temporary administrative staff
- Tenured and tenure-track faculty /full time ongoing administrative staff will normally be allocated work space in a single office.
- Limited term faculty/Specified term administrative staff will normally be allocated work space in a double office.
- Sessional faculty/temporary administrative staff will normally be allocated work space in a multiple office. Offices vacated by faculty/administrative staff on leave (sabbatical, assisted leave, etc.) will be assigned to the relief faculty/administrative
staff member. Should the faculty/administrative staff member on leave require continued use of office space during the period of leave, written permission to do so must be approved by the faculty/administrative staff’s dean/director or vice president
at the time of application.
- When an office is vacated by an outgoing faculty/administrative staff member (e.g. retirement), the office availability shall be reported to the dean/director/vice president or designate so that its future allocation can be determined by the relevant
dean/director/vice president or designate.
- All office moves must be approved by the dean/director or designate or appropriate vice president in order to minimize the number of moves (the domino effect) and movement of furniture.
- Additional office space to accommodate new programs or increased instructional capacity must be identified in the “Three Year Academic Plan” and for new programs in the EPPR documents. These requirements will then be forwarded to the Provost and Vice
President Academic, Director of Facilities Services and the Space Committee.
- Office size: (note that existing offices may be less than the indicated planning size)
Suggested planning guidelines
- single office – 100 sq.ft. (9.3 sq.m.)
- double office – greater than 135 sq.ft. (12.5 sq.m.)
- multiple office – greater than 170 sq.ft. (15.8 sq.m.)
- general office space is a common workplace that is normally larger than a multiple office
- where possible and required, offices for department chairpersons/coordinators/managers and deans/directors, associate vice presidents and vice presidents may be larger to accommodate small group meetings
- Work stations shall be fitted with the following:
- office desk/work station (with runoff where possible)
- one 6’ bookshelf unit
- one standard legal file cabinet
- office chair (similar to Model Standard 4101)
- side chair(s)
- keyboard tray
- tack board
- room number/name plate
- paper waste container
- recycle box