TRU Start SD 73
A unique partnership between Thompson Rivers University and School District 73 allows high school students an opportunity to earn university credits while still in high school.
With TRU Start students can:
- Start their university journey early
- Take one or two university courses or a one-year university certificate program tuition-free
- Experience university life while in secondary school for TRU on-campus courses
- Experience post-secondary distance delivery courses and working with an online tutor for TRU Open Learning courses
Offerings include university level courses in economics, English, psychology and sociology, as well as one-year certificate and diploma programs such as early childhood education and health care assistant.
You get the perfect little taste of what to expect in post-secondary — whether you attend TRU or move on to a different institution. Angela Ippolito
In addition to meeting TRU prerequisites prior to the start of the course(s) or program, students are required to meet the following criteria as documented on the student’s high school report card:
- Minimum overall average of 'B'
- Exemplary attendance record
- Exemplary attitude towards learning — i.e., no 'N's in the effort column
Interested students must contact their high school trades and transition advisor, who is familiar with the process and can supply an application package. The completed application must be received by the advisor before Feb. 27.
Please note that only fully completed applications, which include the student’s letter of intent and signatures from both a parent/guardian and a school principal or designate, will be reviewed and ranked by the District/TRU Start Committee.
For more information please contact Sheryl Lindquist, SD #73 District Principal Trades and Technology, at 250-374-0679 or your school-based transitions advisor.
For BC students outside of School District #73 (Kamloops and area), please see TRU Start BC.