Executive Assistant Diploma
The Executive Assistant Diploma prepares office administration students to serve in more senior positions as office managers and assistants to senior executives in both industry and government. After completing the TRU Administrative Assistant Certificate in Year 1 or an equivalent office administration program from another institution, students take additional courses in accounting, communications, marketing, law, and management in Year 2.
With the Executive Assistant Diploma, graduates will be well-prepared to write the accreditation exams for the Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) or Organizational Management (OM) designation programs.
If you are highly motivated, like working with people, are organized, and have excellent communication skills, the Executive Assistant Diploma program could provide you with the added skills you need to “move up” in your organization.
Upon completion of this program, students are able to:
- Prepare effective business documents including memorandums and short reports.
- Describe the environment that businesses operate in, the functions of management, and the role of different management disciplines.
- Maintain the financial records of a small business.
- Utilize spreadsheet and other application software in day-to-day work activities.
- Explain how effective management information systems can contribute to an organization’s success.
- Discuss how human and interpersonal behaviour theory can be applied to maximize organizational efficiency.
- Collect and analyze information to assist management in making more effective operational decisions.
- Develop a basic marketing plan for a new product or service based on a strong understanding of the 4Ps of place, price, place and promotion.
- Implement effective human resource practices in an office environment.
- Apply the basic principles of contract, tort, employment and other areas of business law to decision making.
- B.C. Grade 12 or mature student status
- Foundations Math 12 or Pre-Calculus Math 12 with a minimum C+ or equivalent
- English 12/English 12 First Peoples with a minimum of 73 percent or equivalent
- Completion of the TRU Administrative Assistant Certificate or equivalent one-year certificate program
Program content: second year
|ENGL 1100||Introduction to University Writing|
|MNGT 1710||Introduction to Business|
|ORGB 2810||Organizational Behaviour|
|ACCT 2210||Financial Accounting|
|MIST 2610||Management Information Systems|
|CMNS 1290||Introduction to Professional Writing|
|ACCT 2250||Management Accounting|
|MKTG 2430||Introduction to Marketing|
|HRMN 2820||Human Resource Management|
|BLAW 2910||Commercial Law|
Students must achieve a grade of C- or better in all courses to graduate.