Business Foundations Certificate
The Business Foundations Certificate is a one-year program that focuses on students who can only attend classes for a short period of time or want to earn a business credential quickly to help them secure an entry-level accounting or administrative position or advance at work. It is expected that most graduates will continue their studies or return to school at a later date to complete a business diploma or degree either on campus or online.
Upon completion of this program, students are able to:
- Prepare effective business documents including memorandums and short reports.
- Solve business problems using basic quantitative techniques.
- Describe the environment that businesses operate in, the functions of management, and the role of different management disciplines.
- Maintain the financial records of a small business using computerized accounting software.
- Utilize spreadsheet and other application software in day-to-day work activities.
- Explain how effective management information systems can contribute to an organization’s success.
- Discuss how human and interpersonal behaviour theory can be applied to maximize organizational efficiency.
- B.C. Grade 12 or mature student status
- Foundations Math 12 or Pre-Calculus Math 12 with a minimum C+ or equivalent
- English 12/English 12 First Peoples with a minimum of 73% or equivalent
Students may commence their studies while they upgrade their English and mathematics.
|Mathematics for Business and Economics
Finite Mathematics with Applications
|ENGL 1100||Introduction to University Writing|
|MNGT 1710||Introduction to Business|
|Introduction to Basic Economics
Principles of Microeconomics
|ACCT 2210||Financial Accounting|
|Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Macroeconomics
|CMNS 1290||Introduction to Professional Writing|
|ACCT 2280||Accounting Software Systems|
|MIST 2610||Management Information Systems|
|ORGB 2810||Organizational Behaviour|
Students must achieve a grade of C- or higher in all courses to graduate. Those who plan on pursuing the Bachelor of Business Administration are recommended to take MATH 1070, ECON 1900, and ECON 1950.