Awards External to TRU
Selected Awards (not administered by TRU)
The following awards are offered and administered by other organizations, including the BC government, and in some cases the TRU Foundation. Most of the donors are in the TRU region and are intended for students originating from the region.
Local Region Awards
- Various bursaries and scholarships (9 awards) between $1,000-$2,000 for ranching families in BC. Application deadline March 1st.
- Also available, two grants for research that will be of practical value to the BC beef cattle industry. $2,000 each. Application deadline is June 30th.
- Available to CUPE 4879 members, or their spouse or children. Student must be attending post-secondary full-time in a trade, technical, vocational or academic program. 3 awards for $1,000 each, based on different selection preferences.
- Available to current Girl Guides of Canada members, who satisfy the membership timeframe, and demonstrate commitment to service in her school or community. Conditional upon acceptance at a Canadian post-secondary institution. Application deadline is March 31st.
- Various awards for students who were previously 4-H members (see application package for detailed criteria). Over 20 provincial awards range from $500-$4,000. Additional national scholarships are available.
- Available to KDLC and affiliated union members or their relatives who are registered in a full-time or part-time post-secondary program. 4-5 awards for $1,000 each are available, including the Jack Kerrsen Bursary for trades students and the Cynthia Friedman Bursary for women in S.T.E.M. or trades studies.
- Bursary of $1,000 is available to women who are moving to enhance their economic independence and self-sufficiency. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents who will be attending a Canadian college, university or trades school in pursuit of a certificate, diploma or degree. Application deadline is April 1st.
- Available to students who have worked in, or are planning to work in promoting local food security or food sovereignty. One award of $1,000. Application deadline is October 1st.
- Available to KJCA members who demonstrate involvement in the KJCA and school/community activities, as well as academic acheivement. See KJCA Cultural Centre for more details.
- Available to Kamloops area high school graduates, with above average grades, who have played or officiated in KMHA. 3 scholarships are available for $500 each. Application deadline is May 1st.
- Available to Kamloops residents who have completed at least one year recovery time after dealing with alcohol/substance abuse. Two bursaries from $500-$2,500 are available for two age categories each year. Application deadline is June 30th.
- Available to students who have graduated high school and are Canadian citizens that are/will be attending a University, College, Trade or Technical school on a full-time basis for at least two consecutive semesters. Application deadline is June 15th.
- Available to 1st or 2nd year law students who demonstrate community involvement and academic merit. $2,000 in total awards each year, varying from $500-$2,000 per individual based on applications received. Preference given to those with proven South Asian ancestry.
- Available to students who are attending the Engineering Transfer program at TRU. Scholarship is for $1,000. However, Engineers and Geoscientists BC has other scholarships between $1,500-$2,000 for which engineering and geoscience students may be eligible.
- Available to United Steelworkers Local 1-417 members or their children, including children of deceased members. 4 bursaries of $500 each. Application deadline is April 30th.
BC Region Awards
- Ranching and cowboy theme creative competition for 5 scholarships of $500 each. Applicants submit one of the applicable mediums of art with application form for judging. Deadline is December 31st.
- Available to BCGEU members, or relatives of current, retired or deceased members or staff. Full-time scholarships of $2,000 and part-time scholarships of $1,000. Deadline is midnight of the first Sunday in May.
- Various awards available to students from the BC Interior.
- Available to students enrolled in full-time nursing programs leading to a Certificate, Diploma or Degree may be eligible. One bursary between $500-$2,000 may be received in each 12 month period. No application required - students are automatically assessed for this needs based bursary with their student loan application.
- Available to current CPF members. Up to 2 awards for $2,000 are awarded each year to students who have graduated from a BC or Yukon high school who plan to teach French at a public school in BC or the Yukon.
- Available to CUPE BC members, their spouses or children, who have recently completed grade 12 and are entering their first year of post-secondary. 4 scholarships (see application form for selection criteria) of $500 each. Application deadline is August 31st.
- Available to BC residents who are attending an academic, vocational, techinical or technological program at a public university. Proof of enrollment, payment and transcripts are required. Offered 3 times per year. Deadlines: October 15, February 15, and June 15.
- Various awards from $700-$2,000 are available to students who live with mental illness or addiction.
- Available to students who were previously permanent wards of the Superintendent of Family and Child Service in the Ministry of Social Services and Housing. Bursaries range in value, up to a maximum of $4,415. Application deadline is April 15th.
- Available to BC residents who are entering their first year of post-secondary on a full-time basis. 4 available awards of $2,500 per year. Students must demonstrate leadership both in-school and extra-cirricular community service. Application due March 15th.
- Available to Foresters members, or their spouse, children or grandchildren who are committed to helping their communities through volunteering. Students must be attending a minimum 2 year, full-time undergraduate program. 250 scholarships of up to $2,000 each.
- Available to members of Knights of Columbus, their children, or the children of deceased members. Must be enetering their first year of a program leading to a bachelor's degree at a Canadian University. 4 scholarships of $1,500 each per year. Application deadline is May 4th.
- Available to students engaging in research within Natural Sciences and Engineering. More details available through TRU Research.
- Available to part-time or full-time students attending a Canadian college or university for retail, business, marketing or other field related to the retail industry. Applicants must also work part-time or full-time in the retail industry. 20 scholarships between $1,000 - $5,000. Application deadline is March 31st.
- Available to women who are the primary source of financial support for themselves and their dependents, who demonstrate financial need, and are enrolled in a vocational/skills training or undergraduate degree program. Awards range from $1,000 - $16,000 per student. Application deadline is November 15th.
- Available to Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who are graduating from high school, and participate as volunteers in humanitary activities. Maximum award value is $28,000 per student, dispersed over 4 years, and paid directly to the institution.