Philosophy Songs and Skits
Finally, we must call your attention to The Monads, probably the greatest (and perhaps only) philosophy band ever. Their songs combine philosophical sophistication with adolescent yearning to yield soulful melodies that will leave you pining to learn more about Spinoza, Hume, Meinong, and contemporary analytic metaphysics. What other major could inspire lyrics like "my heart is broken / it's a pain-instantiatin' token", and "even if you are temporally gappy, son, you still gotta be a man"? Click on any of the song-titles below to download an mp3 file containing the song of that title, or visit their web site.
- You Are My Everything (A heartfelt, if slightly disturbing, ode to Spinoza)
- Counterparts (Peppy reflection on the plurality of worlds)
- The Missing Shade of Blues (A blues piece about hanging out with Hume)
- Slap Me Happy — I'm Temporally Gappy (On the angst of interrupted existence)
- Meinongian Babe (The heartbreak of non-actual love)
- I Need Your Love (Hard to characterize in just a few words)