TRU ADVENTURE STUDIES
High School Canoe Trip 2020
Application date extended
Please note that the deadline for applications has been extended to April 30, 2020.
Discover the pure beauty of Clearwater Lake and be carried away by the sound of rushing water as your paddle propels you past pristine shores. Hone your canoeing skills and build lifelong memories during this five-day canoe trip in Wells Gray Park, organized by TRU’s Adventure Studies department.
Who is it for?
If you are a high school student, aged 16-18, with a passion for camping and canoeing, and dreams of pursuing a career in outdoor adventure, this trip is for you!
Apply early as only 10 high school students from across Canada will be selected for this adventure.
Join an epic five-day canoe trip
Enjoy learning camp craft and canoe skills hands-on, in the thick of nature, on the open water.
Skills you’ll bring home:
- Canoe strokes
- Canoe tripping
- Camp craft such as setting up tarps and tents, reading maps, using a compass and camp cooking
You’ll also bring home knowledge of how TRU’s Adventure Studies department can help turn your passion for outdoor adventure into a future career.
- Career options in the adventure industry
- Adventure Studies diploma and degree programs offered at TRU
- Adventure guide program
Fee for participants
Taking part in this memorable five-day trip requires a $100 fee. This nominal fee for five days of fun will be funneled back into a TRU Adventure Studies Award for future students.
If you have been selected to participate in the five-day canoe adventure, you can pay this fee through the TRU Foundation. Upon payment, you will receive a proof of donation to complete your registration for the trip.
- Transport to and from Wells Gray Park
- All canoe equipment, kitchen gear and tents
- All meals while on the canoe trip
- All backcountry camping fees
- Lunch in Kamloops on Day 1
What's not included
- Transportation to Kamloops
- Accommodation while in Kamloops
- Personal camping equipment (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothing, footwear)
- Application deadline
- Extended to April 30, 2020
- Applicant notification
- May 1, 2020
You will be notified if you are one of the 10 students joining the canoe trip.
- Information session
- May 15, 2020
- TRU tour, barbecue and trip prep
- June 27, 2020
- Canoe trip
- June 28 (the first Monday of summer holidays) to July 2, 2020
- Meet at Adventure Studies office, tour the office and gear bay
- Tour of campus
- Barbecue at gear bay
- Pack and inspect gear, drive to park, start canoeing
- Canoeing and camping in beautiful Wells Gray Park
- Return drive to Kamloops
- Estimated return time: 6 p.m.
- Parents pick up students
Application form and essay