Adventure Studies Menu
Top Rope Instructor
Top Rope Climbing Instructors (TRCI) work with groups in simple outdoor rock climbing terrain with easy access where students do not require anchoring between climbs or rappels.
TRCI’s work with summer camp programs, educational institutions, non-profit groups as well as climbing schools.
The TRCI program prepares candidates to instruct basic bouldering, belaying, top roping rappelling and emergency response.
- You must be at least 19 years of age.
- Submit a skills resume showing:
- At least two years of climbing experience.
- At least 20 days of outdoor climbing experience.
- Ten (10) routes at a standard of 5.9 or better on lead.
- Ten (10) routes at a standard of 5.10a or better on top rope.
- Supply references who are familiar with your personal and technical background.
- Include a copy of a current Standard (16 hr) first aid certificate or better.
- Include a letter of recommendation from an outdoor climbing operation (camp, educational institution, climbing school or indoor climbing facility).
- 1 to 2 paragraphs about your background and goals related to becoming a Top Rope Climbing Instructor.
Top Rope Climbing Instructors (TRCI) instruct and supervise top rope climbing programs at established outdoor climbing venues with easy access to the base and anchors and where participants do not require anchoring between climbs or rappels.
Top Rope Climbing Instructors work for organizations such as summer camp programs, educational institutions, non-profit groups as well as climbing schools.
Course syllabus includes:
- Front country group management and environmental best practices
- Climbing site management and safety briefings
- Bouldering hazard management
- Assessment and construction of climbing and rappel anchors using bolts or trees
- Conduct of top roping and top belaying programs, including appropriate risk management
- Conduct of rappelling programs, including appropriate risk management
- Climbing instruction principles as introduced in the Level 1 Climbing Gym Instructor course
- Emergency response for stranded or injured climbers, including risk management
- Screening of belay and movement skills (5.10a top rope and 5.9 leading on bolts)
- Industry standards of preparation and professionalism
Location and length
The Top Rope Climbing Instructor program consists of two possible formats: A single 4.5 day program or a program run over two consecutive weekends beginning the Friday evening of the first weekend.
Top rope chart
|Standard first aid|