Get Medical Insurance
All TRU students are required to have proper medical insurance for their entire period of study in Canada.
Private Insurance (Guard.me)
We automatically enroll all students with Guard.me insurance for the first 4 months in Canada.
Medical Service Plan (MSP) Insurance
We will help you complete an application for MSP insurance during orientation and will submit it on your behalf as well.
What if I have or want to bring my own insurance coverage?
If you have medical insurance coverage from any of the providers listed below, you can opt-out of Guard.me medical insurance.
- BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP)
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
- Canadian Bureau for International Education - CSF Plan
- FrontierMedex - ISEP (International Student Exchange Program) Medical Insurance
- Bi-lateral Exchange students with coverage provided by their Home Institution (example: Australian Universities)
- Bi-lateral Exchange students with coverage provided by the government of their home country (example: Government of Austria)
The website where you can opt-out will be provided in your welcome email from your International Student Advisor.
Please note that no other medical insurance policy will be accepted for opting out of Guard.me medical insurance. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding this.
- If you are registered in any of the programs listed below AND have to take a field course, you will need to purchase additional insurance coverage because Guard.me insurance specifically excludes some high risk activities. Click HERE for more information:
- Adventure Sport Certificate
- Adventure Management Diploma
- Adventure Guide Diploma
- Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Adventure Studies
Extended Health & Dental Insurance (through TRU Student Union)
- It is mandatory for students enrolled in 9 credits or more (Fall semester only)
- Exchange students and visiting students who are studying for only one semester are opted out.
- The fee is charged to your TRU account.
- It covers you from September 1 to August 31 each year.
- Information: http://trusu.ca/services/health-dental
Single - $248.00
Spouse/Partner Add-On (one additional person) - $286.00
Family Add-On (more than one additional person) - $382.00
Opting In: http://trusu.ca/services/health-dental/opting-in
The following students have to opt-in if they want coverage under the TRUSU Health and Dental Plan
Winter semester students
Summer semester students
Exchange and visiting students
Students who previously opted out
Dependents of the above
Keep in mind that if you opt-in to the TRUSU Health and Dental Plan you are not automatically enrolled every year and you will need to opt-in manually again in the following year to maintain your coverage.
In order to opt-in to the TRUSU Health and Dental program you must come to the Members’ Services Desk in the Students’ Union Building (located in the Campus Activity Centre). You will need to complete a Health and Dental Opt-In Form and pay the health and dental fee.