Why do we need an intranet?
- Intranets are best practice for internal communication within busy organizations with large and diverse employee bases. OneTRU is powered by a software platform called SharePoint available to Microsoft users like TRU. Other universities – including UBC, UVic, UNBC, Kwantlen Polytechnic University and Douglas College in BC – have also adapted SharePoint as their intranet platform.
- OneTRU helps reduce the stress of “email overload”. With total email volumes at TRU continuing to increase, an intranet offers a helpful alternative: a site that all of us can visit on our own time, to review information at our own pace.
- OneTRU helps support TRU’s Strategic Priority of Increasing Sustainability. It is a secure alternative to paper-based filing systems and enables departments to securely store procedure manuals, internal phone lists, forms and other operational documents.
- OneTRU is an easy, free and time-effective way for many individuals or many groups at TRU to share information or collaborate on a project.
- OneTRU hosts an internal social network that allows any staff or faculty member to set up their own personally customized page, post thoughts and information and respond to others’ posts.
- We will be working to establish themed sites – including Buy & Sell, Discussion Board, Community News & Events and TRU News & Updates – offering the same capabilities as the current staff, administration, faculty and other group email lists.
Eventually, we hope that OneTRU will become the natural channel for any and all communications meant specifically for TRU faculty and staff.
Do other universities have intranets?
OneTRU is powered by a software platform called SharePoint available to Microsoft users like TRU. Other universities – including UBC, UVic, UNBC, Kwantlen Polytechnic University and Douglas College in BC – have also adapted SharePoint as their intranet platform.
Are there guidelines or regulations for OneTRU?
As with any communications between TRU employees, OneTRU will be governed by existing TRU policies and regulations for respectful communication. There may also be guidelines for use specific to OneTRU including the topics that fit within each of the themed sites and technical requirements for project management or document sharing. See the OneTRU Intranet Governance document.
Will we still get TRU Announcements?
There will still be TRU Announcements, but they will be reserved only for high priority messages of critical importance. Those messages that are better suited for posting on OneTRU will be included in a new weekly news bulletin that Marketing and Communications will be posting every week on OneTRU.
Does OneTRU remove the need for external project management or file sharing systems?
Yes. Easy to use project management and file sharing functions are part of what OneTRU offers. This will reduce expenditures for external systems that many areas currently subscribe to.
How do I get started?
We're glad you asked! Here's how.
I have question / I need some help
Questions about OneTRU, its features, or how it can be used in your department should directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Problems or issues with OneTRU should be directed through the IT Service Desk at email@example.com or call 250-852-6800 or 1-888-852-8533 or request support from the listed Site Owner within your OneTRU Team Site.