There are many different computer systems at Thompson Rivers University. Your myTRU Portal password requires a password change every 120 days. Your network account changes less often, but it is still important to constantly change your password to ensure that no one else is accessing your accounts.
Creating a secure password
It is also important to use a password that can not easily be discovered. Should a encrypted file fall into the wrong hands someone could use a password "cracker" program to access your file. These programs usually encode dictionary words and compare them to encoded passwords until a match is found.
Therefore a good password is one that:
- Cannot be found in a dictionary.
- Does not contain your first or last name.
- Is at least 8 characters in length - the longer the better.
- Contains at least one number: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Contains a non-alphabetic letter such as: exclamation point (!), dollar sign ($), number sign (#), or percent (%).
- Uses a mixture of upper and lower case letters on systems that use case sensitive passwords: AbDqRa9!
- Is easy to remember so that you don't need to write it down.
- One way to do this is to make up a sentence that is easy for you to remember and then use the first letter of each word in the sentence to make up your password.
- e.g. "The quick brown fox jumped the fence" would equate to "tqbfjtf". You could use this sentence to create a password like: "!tQbFjtf321"
- Is only used on one computer system. If your password is discovered it only provides access to one computer system and not to all of yourcomputer systems. Do not use passwords you set on the Internet such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.
- Is never shared with other people including co-workers.
- Is never written down.
- Never create paper notes with passwords
Changing your network/wireless/Outlook/remote access/Moodle password
- PCs only (not MAC's) - CTL + ALT + DEL to locate the "Change password" option on your computer when connected to the TRU network.
- You can use Outlook webmail from off campus to change your network password as they use the same system password.
- This password is also your Wireless and Remote Access.
Problems changing your password
If you have problems changing your password you can contact the IT Service Desk..