» back to all 'Career Opportunities'
WTTP 2061 - Inorganic Species in Water Open Learning Faculty Member (Web) - OL Tourism/Trades
Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning (TRU-OL) has a vacancy for 1 regular continuous, Open Learning Faculty Member(s) (Web) @ 50% TAP, (Teaching Allocation Percentage) for WTTP 2061 – Inorganic Species In Water, effective approximately April 1, 2013.
WTTP 2061 (Web) Inorganic Species in Water - The focus of this course will be the study of inorganic species (metals and non-metals) that are found in water and wastewater. Topics will include identification and removal techniques of inorganic species in treatment systems. Basic terminology, reactions and equation analysis will also be covered.
Open Learning Faculty Members are teaching staff in the Open Learning division of TRU, and the role of the Open Learning Faculty Member is to actively encourage, support and guide students toward success in their academic studies. Open Learning Faculty Members must be skilled in teaching, fully knowledgeable of the subject matter and demonstrate a positive, open and caring attitude in all interaction with students.
Responsibilities of the Open Learning Faculty Member (Web) include but are not limited to:
- Administrative set up and record keeping
- Initiating and maintaining regular contact with the student as specified in the collective agreement
- Responding to all student queries by phone, e-mail or other method as appropriate within the time frame outlined in the collective agreement
- Marking all assignments, posting results and providing prompt feedback
- Marking exams and posting results
We anticipate 20 students per year in this course. These numbers are only estimates and actual numbers for the course may be greater or less than the estimated numbers.
Related industry experience with a Diploma or a Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent, with a demonstrated expertise in water chemistry as it applies to water and wastewater treatment is required. Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience. In addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills, the preferred candidates will have demonstrated skills and abilities in distance education.
The Open Learning Faculty Member must:
- Be knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter of the course
- Have received training or have successful experience in the active facilitation of learning in a collaborative online environment
- Have direct experience working with current educational technologies, tools and Learning Management Systems
- Have demonstrated knowledge of effective pedagogy in the use of current educational technology and tools
- Have demonstrated skills and abilities in the delivery of flexible learning materials, the application of instructional technology and in the application of adult learning principles
Qualified internal TRUOLFA applicants will be given first consideration in filling this position.
Remuneration will be as per the TRUOLFA Collective Agreement.
This position is open to qualifiedapplicants residing in British Columbia.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, TRU encourages applications from qualified members of the four designated groups: women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and visible minorities. Applicants are invited to identify themselves if they belong to any of the four designated groups.
Please forward current curriculum vitae via e-mail to email@example.com, quoting the Competition # 13-914, in the subject line, with names, addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) referees and/or references, along with a copy of graduate transcripts. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
- Please submit a separate application for each competition.
- Only attachments in the following formats will be accepted: Word (.doc, .docx), PDF, Text (.txt), Excel (.xls, .xlsx). Paper and/or faxed applications will no longer be considered.
- We wish to thank all applicants, however; only those under consideration will be contacted.
This posting is in effect from March 14 to March 21, closing at 4:30 pm.
To view all current TRU postings, please visit our website at www.tru.ca/careers
» back to all 'Career Opportunities'