» back to all 'Career Opportunities'
Accounting Assistant - Open Learning
This posting is in effect from January 30, 2013 to February 12, 2013, closing at 4:30 pm.
*Please quote the competition number listed above in the subject line of your email.
Please be advised that effective February 18, 2013 to March 31, 2013, there is a full-time, temporary position for an Accounting Assistant – Opening Learning. The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, subject to change depending upon departmental requirements.
Provides a variety of accounting support for the department such as setting up and maintaining general ledger codes and vendor master files, compiling data and distributing financial reports, preparing journal entries, reconciliations and verifying deposits.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains and authorizes the general ledger coding system, by assigning PDC codes, tax information, complying with internal policy & procedures.
2. Maintains Accounts Payable and Purchasing vendor files. Verifies that the Canada Post and internal policies for address maintenance are maintained.
3. Responsible for reconciling all bank accounts, visa accounts, grand & toy, Williams Lake Petty cash and other GL accounts as required.
4. Responsible for reconciling and remitting on all GST and PST accounts.
5. Responsible for maintaining general ledger integrity, by reviewing and verifying all journal entries and all posting reports.
6. Compiles/verifies information and enters data from various source documents.
7. Responds to internal/external queries.
8. Confirms with other finance departments that all month end processing is complete, prior to closing month end.
9. Provides technical support, general ledger analysis and project assistance as required.
10. Maintains relevant filing system and records.
· Grade 12, and completion of 2 years of an Accounting Program
· Three years’ comprehensive computerized accounting experience, including two years’ experience working with spreadsheet software
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
· Excellent organizational skills
· Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with staff and public
· Ability to perform electronic data entry and word processing at 50 wpm
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Working knowledge of computerized accounting systems and databases
· Sitting at a desk and computer for periods of time; general office conditions
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists. The rate for this position at 100% is $24.31: at 90%, the rate is $21.88 per hour.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, TRU encourages applications from qualified members of the four designated groups: women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and visible minorities. Applicants are invited to identify themselves if they belong to any of the four designated groups.
A complete resume outlining your qualifications and experience along with names, addresses and telephone numbers of three references must be submitted during the posting period via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the competition number in the subject line when applying.
» back to all 'Career Opportunities'
- Please submit a separate application for each competition.
- Only attachments in the following formats will be accepted: Word (.doc, .docx), PDF, Text (.txt), Excel (.xls, .xlsx). Paper and/or faxed applications will no longer be considered.
- We wish to thank all applicants, however; only those under consideration will be contacted.