Thompson Rivers University

FAQs for T2202A Tax Receipts

FAQs for T2202A Tax Receipts

Are they mailed?

T2202A's are not mailed. They are available only through your myTRU account.

What is a T2202A?

A T2202A is a Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate. This form displays the eligible tuition and other fees paid during a tax year and the number of months a student was enrolled in part-time and/or full-time studies.

Are all students eligible to receive a T2202A?

Not all. T2202As are not issued in the following situations:

  • The student is enrolled in a university preparation or high school equivalency English as a Second Language program and is therefore not studying at the post-secondary level.
  • The student has paid less than $100 in tution and fees.

When can I expect to receive my T2202A form?

T2202As will be provided online through your myTRU account by the end of February.

Where do I find my T2202A tax receipt?

The information required for tax filing will be available at the end of February through your myTRU account under "My Academic Record".

How do I obtain a copy of my T2202A for a previous tax year?

For the 2010 tax year to current, T2202a's are available on myTRU. For 2009 and previous years, there is a nominal charge.

You can submit your request via if you were enrolled through the Kamloops or Williams Lake campus. If you were renrolled through Open Learning, send your request to

What if I don't have a myTRU account or don't remember my username and password?

All TRU students have a myTRU account on the TRU website.
Instructions on how to access this account.

Why is the amount on my T2202A different from the amount I paid?

There are a few possible explanations:

  • One or more of the courses you took are not eligible. To receive a tax receipt, the course must be equal to a certain number of credits or hours.
  • Not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible. For a list of eligible fees, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Your course or program is not at the post-secondary level. T2202A receipts are also issued for post-secondary courses. For example, receipts are not issued for Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses or an English as a Second Language program.
  • Tuition fees for courses spanning one calendar year to the next are pro-rated to each applicable year. This situation is common for Open Learning courses or trades programs. For example, a course with an eight month completion time starting in November is recorded 25% on the tax receipt for the year when the course started and 75% on the receipt for the following year.
  • You may have outstanding fees. T2202A forms will only be issued for eligible amounts that have been paid.
If the points above do not apply to your situation and your tuition tax form still doesn't reflect the amount of tuition and fees you paid, contact TRU. If you are a TRU on-campus student, email If you are a TRU-OL student, email

Why does my T2202A show the tuition and fees I paid but does not show the number of months I was enrolled?

This can happen if you were in a course that lasted less than 3 weeks, if the course is "non-transcriptable" (would not appear on a TRU transcript) or if your studies were not at the post-secondary level.

How do I claim my textbook allowance?

For information on this and other tax regulations, please refer to the CRA document "Students and Income Tax".

For the Education amount on my T2202A (Tuition and Education Certificate), am I considered a full-time or part-time student?

To be considered a full-time student, the following criteria must be met:
- A qualifying education program is defined in the Income Tax Act as a program that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction or work in the program each week (not including study time). Instruction or work includes lectures, practical training and laboratory work.

To be considered a part-time student, the following criteria must be met:
- A specified education program is defined in the Income Tax Act as a program that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and requires at least 12 hours of instruction each month.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has contacted me because they need an explanation about my "Undeclared" program. What do I need to do?

You can print a letter of clarification for the CRA from the myTRU portal from the page where you accessed your T2202A.

After reading all the information on this website, I still have a question or need my T2202A receipt printed, whom should I contact?

If you took courses thorugh the Kamloops or Williams Lake campus, please send a message to For courses taken through Open Learning, please send a message to