Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University
Find a Course:
View all courses

Transfer Credit

Through Open Learning's Transfer credit options, your previously earned credits can count towards your credential, which means you don't have to start from square one when enrolling in a program. Get a head start on your post-secondary credential by transferring credit and expediting your program completion.

Anyone can apply for their past credits to be transferred to their program by arranging for all official post-secondary transcripts to be sent to TRU-OL admissions. Transfer credit gives you recognition for your past post-secondary work.

Transferring Credit to an Open Learning Program from Other Institutions

As part of the admission process, students will need to arrange for official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent by those institutions directly to TRU-OL Admissions. Documents from international institutions may require assessment by an accredited international credential evaluation service. Students may also need to provide additional supporting documentation with the application, particularly if courses were completed more than seven years ago or were completed outside of BC. Once fully admitted to a program, students wishing to take courses elsewhere to meet some TRU-OL program requirements must discuss choices with a Program Advisor and request a Letter of Permission.

TRU-OL commences formal education assessment upon receipt of all of the following:

  1. Completed Program Admission form (students may also apply online).
  2. Full payment of the program plan fee and transcript assessment fee.
  3. Official transcripts of all post-secondary studies.
  4. Any additional program admission requirements, such as criminal records search documents.

Results of the assessment and outline of a program plan are sent to applicants.

Refer to transfer credit policies.

Program Plans

Once an applicant has completed the admission process, a TRU-OL Program Advisor assesses the student's transcripts (if applicable). An individual program plan is created for the student and indicates transfer credit granted (if any) in addition to the remaining requirements necessary to complete the credential (certificate, diploma or degree). The plan is usually sent to the student within six weeks of admission to the program. If a student wishes to change programs, a re-assessment fee is normally charged.

Students pay a fee for each program plan prepared.

A personalized program plan shows the following:

  1. Requirements for the program.
  2. Student's transfer credit.
  3. Remaining credits required for program completion.

Remaining credits may be earned through coursework or prior learning assessment and recognition ( PLAR ) (by course challenge or portfolio-assisted assessment) or a combination of both.

In order to ensure that a course satisfies program requirements, students should consult their program plan or their program advisor, when appropriate, prior to registering in a course. Students registering in courses without prior approval bear the responsibility for taking courses that may not be applicable to program requirements. Students self registering in external courses are also responsible for transcript assessment fees.

Letter of Permission

A student admitted to a program offered through TRU-OL who wants to request permission to take a course at another institution must first apply for a Letter of Permission, using the Letter of Permission Request form. One Letter of Permission per semester, per institution is required for such courses.

A student's record and program plan are updated when TRU-OL receives official transcripts detailing course completion from the external institution. Students are responsible for ordering these transcripts, directed to TRU-OL Admissions.

Program Change

A student's intention to change programs must be confirmed in writing (email is acceptable) to a Program Advisor. Upon written confirmation, a program plan for the new program is prepared. Transcript assessment and program planning fees may apply.

Program Completion

All program students must fulfill all requirements, including residency, in order to graduate from programs offered through TRU-OL. Residency requirements are the minimum number of TRU credits (distance or on-campus) that must be completed, including credits earned through PLAR, as specified in program descriptions. Program advisors are available to assist you with program completion details. Once all requirements have been met, students are required to apply to graduate. The form to graduate is available on myTRU under the Student Resources tab. Click here for more information.

TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic appear on TRU-OL transcripts and are applicable in meeting the residency requirements for programs offered through TRU-OL.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement is a program of college-level courses and examinations, administered by the College Entrance Examination Board in New York, with a Canadian office in Kelowna, BC. Unless stated otherwise, TRU-OL requires that students have a minimum grade of 3.0 in the Advanced Placement program to receive transfer credit.

Refer to admissions and transfer information.

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate program, sponsored by a Swiss foundation in Geneva, is a comprehensive curriculum, including languages, science, mathematics and humanities. Unless stated otherwise, TRU-OL requires that students have a minimum grade of 4.0 in the International Baccalaureate program to receive transfer credit.

Refer to admissions and transfer information.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Students may be eligible for credit based on an assessment of their prior learning that occurred outside the formal education system. Prior learning includes the skills and knowledge gained through learning experiences such as industry-based training, professional development workshops and seminars, private study and paid and/or volunteer work experience. PLAR credit may be used to complete a TRU-OL credential or for other external purposes. Program students who have completed formal courses and programs must apply for transcript assessment before having their prior learning assessed. Normally, TRU-OL assesses prior learning by challenge examination or a process that includes a portfolio. PLAR credit can also be awarded for pre-assessed training from selected employers, private training organizations and/or Continuing Studies programs.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Earn academic credits for knowledge, training and skills you have gained through work and life experience.

Challenge Examination

Students in programs offered through TRU-OL may write one or more challenge examinations to demonstrate knowledge of the content of a particular TRU-OL course or of a first language. The amount of credit awarded is the same as completing the course as a registered student and PLAR grading applies.

Program students are required to complete and submit the Course Registration form and pay the tuition, course administration and technology fees to be considered for a course challenge examination. Contact Student Services for more information.

Portfolio-Assisted Assessment

Students may be eligible to demonstrate that their prior learning has provided them with a series of "competencies" (such as communication abilities or problem-solving abilities), which are critical for success in completion of program requirements. Students are required to prepare and submit a learning portfolio with written documents and other materials and may be required to have an oral interview. The non-refundable PLAR fee is required in advance.

  • Normally, PLAR credit awarded by TRU-OL toward a TRU credential cannot be transferred to other post-secondary institutions.
  • PLAR credit may not be accepted to meet the admission criteria of some post-degree programs.
  • Students are advised to confirm the transferability and acceptance of PLAR credit to another institution prior to applying for PLAR. Transcript assessment and program planning fees may apply.
  • TRU-OL accepts credits earned through PLAR from all BC post-secondary institutions that have formally adopted the recommended BC provincial standards. Such credit is applied in the context of requirements of programs offered through TRU-OL.

Refer to PLAR policies.

Transferring Credit to Other Institutions

BC's post-secondary education system has a well established transfer credit system, particularly designed for students planning to take individual courses or a partial university program through various institutions.

Students planning to register in TRU-OL courses and planning to complete a program offered by another institution are advised to refer to that institution's admission information to determine initial program requirements. Admission and transfer information is available on the web.

Visiting students planning to take courses through TRU-OL for transfer to another institution can register in courses without submitting transcripts.

Although a Letter of Permission is not required by TRU-OL, it is recommended that students obtain one from their home institution to ensure that the course(s) selected applies to their program of study.

Courses listed on the TRU-OL website delivered by UVic are TRU-OL university-level courses for which students receive TRU credit on TRU transcripts. Students are responsible to be aware of transfer credit policies prior to registration for courses they plan to transfer to other institutions.

Refer to transfer credit policies.

UVic Transfer Credit

Students are advised that registration in TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic may not automatically be accepted for transfer credit to a specific program of studies at UVic.

Students planning to take courses through TRU-OL and then transfer the credit to UVic should refer to admission and transfer information.

Students should note that registration in a TRU-OL course delivered by UVic does not mean they are admitted to that institution. Students are advised to refer to the individual institution's admission policies.

Refer to transfer credit policies.