How to Register
This page walks you through the steps to register for a course or apply to a program. More information about course requirements, prerequisites and deadlines can be found on Before Registering for a Course.
- How to register for a course
- How to apply to a program
- Payment Processing
- Courses Delivered by UVic
- UBC Distance Courses
How to register for a course
- Select a course and read the course description to ensure you have the tools and prerequisites necessary to complete the course.
- Confirm course availability using the online tool or with Student Services. If you’re interested in a course that is not currently available, check back. Most courses are offered on a continuous basis and are available throughout the year, but some are paced, with set start and end dates.
- Review the course fees using the same online tool. General fee information is available at Tuition and Fees.
- Review academic regulations, including course registration, cancellation and course withdrawal policies, online or with Student Services.
- Note the application deadline and course start date, especially if the course is paced or delivered by UVic.
- Proceed to Register Now to select a payment and registration method (online, phone, mail or fax).
Applicants with a documented disability requesting services and/or accommodations must contact the Disability Services Department 12 weeks prior to their intended course start date.
How to apply to a program:
- Select a program and confirm availability.
- Ensure you have reviewed the Program Requirements outlined in the program description.
- Read TRU-OL's Admission guidelines.
- Review transfer credit and Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition information. Contact Student Services for more information regarding program plans and educational advising.
- Review TRU Regulations and Policies.
- Proceed to Register Now to complete and submit the Program Admission form.
- Email Student Services for information on sponsorship and scholarship procedures.
- Registrations are not processed until all course fees have been received.
- Payment is deposited on receipt.
- Payment is refunded for registrations not processed.
Courses Delivered by UVic
Course start dates for TRU OL courses delivered by the University of Victoria (UVic) are specific to the program area offering the course. Course start dates are given in the individual course descriptions. If none are listed, contact the program area at UVic. Courses offered are posted approximately two and a half months prior to the start of the session. Registration opens at that time. Registration deadlines apply. Space is limited and early registration is advised.
Course fees listed do not include textbooks or other course materials. Fees are subject to change without notice. Refer to information on tuition.
Course prerequisites are specified in the course descriptions.
Students receive an email from TRU-OL confirming course registration. Registered students receive instructions by email from UVic program areas about purchasing texts and course materials from the UVic Bookstore and accessing library resources.
UVic arranges examinations. Refer to examination policies for more information.
Those wishing to audit a course delivered by UVic should contact UVic directly.
Some TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic are available to students residing outside Canada. Students should contact the UVic program area for more details.
Some TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic include face-to-face lab, classroom, or field-trip components, which may require travel to UVic or a designated site. The UVic program area provides details.
UBC Distance Courses
TRU-OL students can register for a distance education course through UBC and have the application fee waived by applying through UBC Access Studies.
Students interested in taking a UBC course to complete a program offered through TRU-OL should first obtain approval from TRU-OL, register through UBC Access Studies, and then transfer the UBC credit to TRU-OL. This credit cannot be used for TRU-OL's residency requirement.
For more information:
1.877.272.1422 (toll-free in Canada and US)