Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

BC Adult Graduation Diploma

Program Availability

Prior to applying for an Adult Basic Education (ABE) program, refer to individual course descriptions for availability of courses outside Canada.

Program Description

Grade 12 equivalency

The BC Ministry of Advanced Education credential parallels the requirements of the Ministry of Education's Adult Graduation Diploma.

What Can You Do With This Credential?

The BC Adult Graduation Diploma (formerly the Adult Basic Education Provincial Diploma option and the Adult Dogwood) allows you, as an adult learner, to return to and complete the BC Ministry of Education secondary school requirements, thus enabling you to enter the workforce or other post-secondary studies.

Program Requirements

Admission Requirements

Students who plan to complete a credential through TRU-OL must complete and submit a Program Admission form.

Residency Requirements

A minimum of one of the required courses must be completed through TRU (distance or on-campus).

Diploma Requirements

Five courses are required, as follows:

English (one required)

ENGL 0601, Introduction to Literature or an approved Grade 12 Language Arts course

Mathematics (one required)

MATH 0523, Advanced Mathematics
ACCT 1211, Accounting I or an approved mathematics or accounting course at the Grade 11 level or higher (not recommended for students wanting to pursue studies at other post-secondary institutions; consult with other institutions about admission requirements and recommended courses, if applicable)

Electives (three required)

BIOL 0601, Provincial Biology
MATH 0633, Provincial Mathematics
PHYS 0601, Senior Physics

Consult a program advisor for a list of other suitable electives.

Student Responsibility

Students are responsible for consulting with their program advisor to ensure that the courses they choose are available and are appropriate for their program of study and their educational goals. Students who proceed without their program advisor's approval may find that a course does not meet these requirements and may be subject to transcript assessment fees.

Transfer Credit

Approved Grade 12, college or university courses may be eligible for transfer credit. Consult a program advisor. Prior completion of all ABE Advanced Certificate requirements is not mandatory, although certain courses do have prerequisites.

Courses authorized by the Ministry of Education (four secondary-school credits) or the Ministry of Advanced Education may be used toward the BC Adult Graduation Diploma, provided the Ministry-authorized courses meet diploma requirements.

Courses taken through TRU-OL or at other recognized schools or colleges in BC or elsewhere can be assessed for credit toward the Advanced Certificate and/or the BC Adult Graduation Diploma. A completed Program Admission form, official transcripts from all schools and institutions attended and the appropriate fee are required for an assessment. The credit assessment fee may be waived if students are submitting transcripts only from BC secondary schools, BC college ABE programs or TRU-OL. Students may also apply for program admission on the ApplyBC website.

Some non-formal courses and qualifications have also been assessed as providing transferable credit. Credit can also be earned for some ABE requirements by demonstrating knowledge through challenge examinations.

Students wanting to enter a university directly must meet the requirements of the institution they plan to attend and should select courses accordingly.

Credit courses from BC post-secondary institutions used to meet the requirements of the Adult Basic Education Advanced Certificate or BC Adult Graduation Diploma qualifications may also be used to meet the requirements of a TRU-OL program qualification.


Email Student Services.