The PLAR Pre-Application Self-Assessment tool provides you an opportunity to audit your abilities in relation to the competencies in the new Bylaw and also gain a better understanding of what will be expected of you as a portfolio candidate. This information is designed to help potential candidates decide whether this opportunity is right for them.
Completing Pre-Application Self-Assessment
At a minimum, the Pre-Application Self-Assessment will take four to five hours to complete. A potential candidate should allow adequate time to reflect on past knowledge, skill, abilities, and experiences in order to produce specific meaningful examples. These examples should demonstrate how the potential candidate is able to meet the indicators within each module at a baccalaureate degree level.
How should I organize my CDHBC PLAR Portfolio?
The CDHBC-PLAR candidate should have strategies in place to ensure the greatest chance of success when completing the PLAR Portfolio. These may include but are not limited to:
- Become familiar with the online learning platform Blackboard Learn (Blearn), by accessing tools and the blackboard help links and tutorials
- Understand the self-directed nature of an online learning course such as the PLAR Portfolio and the candidate’s responsibility for their learning
- Read all rubrics to be familiar with the grading criteria
- Read all CDHBC-PLAR Portfolio information on Blearn prior to starting to work on Portfolio
- Set weekly time aside to dedicate to Portfolio
- Set time frames for completion of each module
- Familiarize yourself with Form A and Form B which are required for submitting the Portfolio for grading.
The Competencies for Portfolio Assessment and Self-Assessment Tool documents are currently in development. If you wish to apply for the Pre-Application Review please submit your inquiry to CDHBCApplication@tru.ca.
- Competencies for Portfolio Assessment CDHBC 365 Day Rule Exempt Status (PDF, 163 KB)
- Self-Assessment Tool (PDF, 553 KB)
- CDHBC-PLAR Glossary of Terms (PDF, 338 KB)
- CDHBC-PLAR Pre-Application Self-Assessment information (PDF, 384 KB)