First Nations Partners
Thompson Rivers University has a goal to be the University of Choice for Aboriginal students and First Nations learners. As such, we strive to ensure that the university curriculum and community are welcoming, supportive and positive environments for members of these groups. In support of this goal, the Open Learning division has:
- Built a number of partnerships with communities and organizations to support the academic preparation of Aboriginal students. First Nations Learning Centres form a key component of these partnerships and allow students to receive face to face course support from qualified, Open Learning approved facilitators, while still enjoying the benefits of open and flexible distance study offered by TRU-OL, and
- The University reviews curricula to identify courses and programs where it is appropriate to incorporate Aboriginal knowledge and culture and promote understanding for all students.
First Nations Learning Centre (FNLC) partnerships use TRU-OL curriculum, administrative and academic support to provide a wide range of educational opportunities to learners within their own communities. The vision is to create a physical space devoted to the success of the individual and the community which will meet the needs of the people. This holistic approach is based on academic research and our experiences servicing First Nations and Aboriginal communities.
Learning Centres agreements may facilitate;
- BC Adult Graduation diploma or high school courses as prerequisites for college or university (ABE)
- Career and Technology certificates and diplomas
- Business and Management Studies
- Social Worker certificate
- Water Treatment and Technology Program
- University transfer courses
- A variety of university degrees
Two delivery models exist for a TRU-OL Learning Centre;
- If someone with the appropriate qualifications is available, a Learning Centre may request approval to facilitate face to face course delivery, or
- If there is no local facilitator available, then a Learning Centre can simply choose to have courses delivered wholly by a TRU-OL faculty member.
If you are interested in more information on a particular FNLC please refer to the links above. If you are interested in discussing how we might partner with your organization please call or email the TRU-OL Strategic Partnership department.