> TRU Home > Career Education > Student Employment > International Students > Preparation for Employment
Preparation for EmploymentWhat is the first step to finding work? Obtain a Social Insurance Number:
- You will not be paid until you obtain your SIN
- Service Canada will only issue a SIN card to an international student with an original (not a photocopy) valid study permit and original (not a photocopy) valid work permit.
- It usually takes 3-4 weeks to obtain a SIN
- All SIN's created for international students will have an expiry date. If you still need a SIN after the expiry date, you will have to complete a SIN application and provide valid proof of identification, such as a new work permit. If you qualify, you will be issued a new SIN card with the same number and a new expiry date.
- There is no fee to apply for your SIN card for the first time or if your SIN expires and you re-apply for a second time; however, if you lose your SIN card it will cost you $10 to replace it.