What is Psychology?
Psychology is the scientific study of thought, feeling and behaviour. As both a scientific discipline and a profession, psychology relates to virtually every aspect of people's lives. Through research, Psychology plays an important role in understanding human behaviour and applying this knowledge.
Psychology at TRU
The Psychology Department at TRU offers the option of obtaining a Major, Minor or Honours in Psychology as part of the Bachelor of Arts degree.
Why Study Psychology?
- You learn about yourself and other people
- You learn to analyze and interpret data
- You gain critical thinking skills
- A psychology degree opens many doors for you
Top Reasons to Study Psychology at Thompson Rivers University
- Our Honours Progam -gives academically successful students the opportunity to carry out research, with the supervision of a professor. The skills developed throughout the Honours program ensures students are successful in entering graduate school.
- Small class sizes and dedicated, knowledgable, and caring professors with a variety of research interest.
- Exposure to research -our first year students participate in research studies from Honours students, Directed Studies students and faculty, to better understand the field of psychology, and gain bonus marks.
- Possibilities of attending and presenting at conferences. Most years the department organizes a trip for a group of keen students to attend a world-renowned conference (ie. the Association for Psychological Science (APS) Convention). Past trip locations have included Boston, MA, Chicago, IL, San Francisco, CA, and Washington, DC.
- Our students are successful in getting accepted into graduate schools and getting hired.
- A beautiful campus with panoramic views of Kamloops and surrounding areas. Ideal for the recreation enthusiasts and nature lovers. Close to Sun Peaks Ski Resort, Shuswap lake, and many parks.