Although similar protocols are observed within many Aboriginal communities, each community can differ in their traditions and protocols; therefore it is essential to explore the appropriate approach for each community with which you work.
The following resources provide a guide to understanding tradition and protocol in most Aboriginal communities.
- Building Bridges With Aboriginal Communities
This 24 minute video provides examples of how to approach and work with Aboriginal communities.
- The Social Planning and Research Council of British Columbia: Building Bridges Together Guide
This is a resource guide developed in 2008 for intercultural work between aboriginal people and non-aboriginal people.
- The Social Planning and Research Council of British Columbia: Building Bridges Together Workbook
This is a workbook for Intercultural work between aboriginal people and non-aboriginal people that accompanies the resource guide.
- Developing Partnerships with Aboriginal Communities: Community Futures B.C. Aboriginal Engagement Toolkit
Developed in 2007, this toolkit was created to support the development of relationships and partnerships toward local and regional economic development and the progress of aboriginal peoples in B.C.
- Association for Mineral Exploration in British Columbia: Aboriginal Engagement Toolkit